Coconut Flour Smooth Vanilla Bread
Recipe by Willabelle Teo
This coconut flour bread is the best substitute for regular white bread.
- 45 g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 225 g (1 2/3 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- 475 ml (2 cups) plant-based milk * (I used almond milk but you can use any other plant-based milk or coconut yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar **
Protein Dairy-free Cream Cheese:
- 1-454 g block firm tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ scoop from Nuzest Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 5 oz melted coconut oil (refined/deodorized)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Unsweetened soy milk as needed to blend
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the coconut flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl and mix well
- Add the yogurt and vinegar and mix again
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin (I used a one-pound loaf tin) lined with greased baking paper
- Sprinkle over mixed seeds (walnuts & pine nuts) to decorate, if desired
- Bake in the oven for around 50 minutes, until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before putting away to store
- It also needs to be left to cool completely before slicing too.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to a few days
*You can use any type of plant-based yogurt: almond, soy, cashew or coconut yogurt all work well. If you can’t find plant-based yogurt, you can replace it with any type of plant-based milk, although this will make the bread slightly more crumbly.
**The vinegar is crucial as its acidity reacts with the alkali bicarbonate of soda. If you don’t have vinegar you can substitute it with lemon juice.
Protein Dairy-free Cream Cheese Method:
Place tofu, nutritional yeast, miso, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic powder in a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides.
It gets quite thick, so you will need to help it along with a damper or wooden spoon. This may take some time, let it blend.
Taste and salt as needed.
Place tofu mixture into a sealable Tupperware or bowl. Cover and place in the fridge.
Spread onto your coconut flour bread and enjoy!!